Villa Mosconi was initially built in the 1500s and was later extended in the first half of the eighteenth century by the architect Adriano Cristofoli. It features a stately Neoclassical facade adorned with statues of the Olympian Gods, a chapel with bell tower and the historic wine cellars which, for more than five centuries, have remained among the foremost in the region. In 1880, the winery was the subject of a detailed research and photographic report commissioned by the prestigious Verona Academy of Agriculture, Sciences and Literature to study and document innovative high-density vineyards, enological techniques, applied technologies, and winemaking excellence practiced at the Estate. The ambitious merging of residential complex with functioning production center is greatly enhanced by the grandeur of the land itself: hectares of groves, two gardens and the majestic park, an early example of the English Style in Italy which has been listed among the great Italian giardini and is considered a national treasure. The park is enclosed within a rambling garden wall dating from the 1500’s and is flanked by lush vineyards characteristic of a territory that the poet Ippolito Pindemonte described in the 1700’s as “dear to Bacchus.” It is this poet, in fact, who deserves credit for first suggesting the English Landscape Garden as a design philosophy for the green, open spaces. Pindemonte, close friend of Ugo Foscolo, was just one of the important artistic and literary figures of the epoch who sojourned regularly at the Villa, composing poetry and stories in the salon of their host the Countess Mosconi. The list goes on: Scipione Maffei was a guest, as well as a very young Countess Maffei who, in turn, went on to reproduce the Veronese salon atmosphere in Milan among such luminaries of the Italian intelligentsia as the great Giuseppe Verdi.
With the arrival of Trezza di Musella and his family, the Estate —already an object of admiration for centuries— began to take its place of prime importance in the world of winemaking. This position was further consolidated in the 1950’s with its acquisition by the Bertani family who went on to establish a center for the production of fine wines on the site. It is here that the Amarone Classico della Valpolicella and Valpolicella Ripasso under Gaetano Bertani’s Tenuta Santa Maria alla Pieve label are produced.
Villa Mosconi Bertani continues to fascinate with its artistic beauty and fairy-tale atmosphere, and is featured regularly in the press and in numerous television and film productions. Today it plays host to a wide range of cultural events: performances, concerts, theatrical evenings and conferences. This utterly unique and enchanting location is also ideal for corporate and private receptions. The public rooms of the Estate are laid out on the ground floor level, allowing for numerous staging options while the multiple diverse spaces offer solutions for any organizational need. Inside the villa, beyond the magnificent Chamber of the Muses with its 17th Century frescoes executed by the masters Prospero Pesci and Giuseppe Valliani, there are eleven halls and chambers of varying dimensions. Outside, the two gardens and the eight-hectare English-style park provide even more opportunities to appreciate the beauty of this area, the Valpolicella, which seems an oasis of unspoiled, verdant green. As was well noted in an essay on English Gardens by Ippolito Pindemonte, quoting Bacone di Verulamio, “a garden is the purest of our pleasures and the best restorative of our spirits.”